The curriculum consists of block rotations and supervised clinical experiences at Temple University Hospital and Crozer-Chester Medical Center, and their affiliated nursing homes.
Block rotations include the following:
- 4 months of acute inpatient geriatric medicine
- 2 months of geriatric consultation
- 1 month of nursing home
- 1 month of geropsychiatry
- 1 month of physical and rehabilitation medicine
- 1 month of home care and hospice
- 1 month of ambulatory care Rheumatology, Neurology and Wound Care Clinic
- 1 month of elective
The fellows also spend one-half day per week following a panel of patients in the geriatric continuity clinic and one-half day per week following their panel of patients in the nursing home.
In addition to the supervised clinical experience, the fellows attend 10 hours per month in didactic teaching which includes weekly core lecture series covering geriatric syndromes and competencies, journal club and research meetings.
Learning objectives include development of skills and knowledge in the following:
- Theories and mechanisms of aging; biological changes of aging; pathophysiology of common aging illnesses; clinical pharmacology; psychosocial aspects of aging; geriatric rehabilitation; preoperative assessment and postoperative management; and preventive medicine
- Complete and accurate medical and psychosocial histories and physical examinations in a diverse population of elderly patients
- Diagnoses and treatments of common symptom complexes in the elderly
- End of life care
- Interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary team approaches to practice with other healthcare professionals
- Geriatric acute hospital care
- Transitional/Sub-acute/Post-acute care
- Nursing home care
- Home care
- Ambulatory outpatient care
William Zirker, M.D., M.P.H., Program Director
The Center for Geriatric Medicine
100 W. Sproul Road
Healthplex II, Suite 221
Springfield, PA 19064
How to Apply
Physicians committed to a career in geriatrics, who complete residency training in internal medicine or family medicine within the United States are invited to apply.