Important message regarding worldwide shortage of contrast media for imaging services
Hospital systems across the globe are being affected by the shortage of iodinated contrast media due to manufacturing disruptions overseas, and this shortage is expected to last through June. Crozer Health is following the PA Department of Health’s recommendations and preserving our supply to ensure that contrast is available for time-sensitive and the most urgent cases.
At Crozer Health, providing safe, high quality patient care is our highest priority. We are working with our physicians to identify and prioritize those patients who have the most urgent needs and collaborating with our pharmacy, radiologists, and other teams to decrease the use and waste of contrast. Please be assured that we will not compromise patient care in any way.
During this shortage, we are using alternative contrast material and limiting its use to ensure adequate supply is available when urgently needed. Therefore, we will be postponing some of the procedures listed below:
- Elective or surveillance contrast enhanced computed tomography studies
- Elective or non-urgent cardiac catheterizations
- Elective or non-urgent endovascular procedures done by neurosurgery, vascular surgery, or interventional radiology
- Pain management procedures
- Some urological procedures that use contrast
- Some general surgery procedures that use contrast
In some cases, your doctor may recommend an alternative imaging test such as ultrasound or magnetic resonance imaging.
Crozer Health will continue to work with our suppliers to minimize the disruptions created by the shortage. We appreciate your understanding and patience during this time as we do what is necessary to continue providing safe, compassionate care to our patients.